July 6, 2010

Brick

I completed my first "brick" tonight for my triathlon training.

I'm not going to say it went great, but I did it.

Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout, one after the other with little or no interruption in between. This could be a bike/run workout, swim/bike or run/bike.

When one stops biking and goes into running, the legs feel strange and heavy. This is why they call it brick training because the legs feel like bricks! The heart rate increases as the body tries to switch the blood from flowing into the muscles used for biking to those used for running.

I did a 7 mile bike followed by a 2.25 mile run. I should have started doing bricks weeks ago, but time just got away from me. Lucky for me, my husband joined me so I had someone to encourage me along the way:).

I have about 3.5 weeks until the Tri and we are busy every single weekend leading up to that. Which means I should be doing bricks at least twice during the week.

Wish me luck and encouragement. Boy do I need it.

2 Comments:

Callie said...

Ugg, good luck!! I'll live vicariously through you and your bricks. I can't imagine. :)

heather said...

i had no idea these were called bricks...but i guess i did my first brick last night too. we biked about 10 miles and only ran about 1 mile. boy was it a different feeling and i'm really sore today. this should be interesting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...